paint it black

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Last week I saw this gorgeous room from an Austin stylist's home and I couldn't stop thinking about the  dramatic black window casings, soft mix of neutrals and that oh-my-god-why-didn't-I-think-of-it awesome coffee table.
photo via Design Sponge

It's beautiful, isn't it?  I found a big bunch of National Geographics on Craigslist in about two seconds flat, so this is do-able.  I think you could get enough to make a coffee table for $50-$100, plus a big piece of glass (just steal one off an ugly cheap coffee table!).  Oh my goodness...  I'm obsessed with this idea.  She says it's a bunch of W magazines, but I love the bright yellow the National Geographics would bring to a room.

I thought I'd make a little mood board version because I don't actually have time to do any rooms for anyone else until I graduate (though, I'm sure I could make the time if someone wanted to hire me.)  Since I'm paring down my possessions to what can fit in suitcases, I can't really do my own house.  These little mood boards satisfy the craving (if you will) to make a pretty room.
Windows - this is the chicest way to deal with big, gorgeous windows.  Paint the casings black and you'll never regret it.

Crate and Barrel's Petrie sofa - clean lines, soft tufts for interest... It's a great couch!

The Zia shag rug (also from Crate and Barrel) and Anthropologie's Linen Corrigan Chair  both bring texture and different neutrals.  A room full of neutrals is super calming, but also can veer into boring territory easily.  You can combat that with keeping things richly textured and with really interesting accessories.  (Bonus, your art and other furniture will easily stand out with such a calm background!)

A smoky blue pillow from Amazon and Pottery Barn's Antler pillow (a little nod to the original room's antlers!) add a few cool tones to keep things from getting too warm.

An awesome gold rock lamp from Land of Nod (though I'd like it with a drum shade, not a conical one) and Urban Outfitter's L'Anatomie poster round it out.  (I'd add an round iron table by the chair with a leafy green plant beside the lamp - my mood boarding skills aren't that great without photoshop...)
See!  It looks good everywhere.  Vouge.com and Feldman Architecture

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

genius, obviously. All rights reserved >>>>> © Blog Milk Design