what's an autoharp?

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

That's the question I got from most people when I told them I bought an autoharp last week.  I bought it for the program Journeys in Music that I've started with UT's The Autism Project.  (I'm going to finish going through all of the pictures from the event this weekend on Friday - so I promise I'll write a big blog post soon!)  Part of the program required enough instruments for each of the children to have one, so then they could rotate through and get a chance to play each of them.

I went on Craigslist and found a bunch of cheap instruments - I was trying to get a well rounded group of instruments, so I when I found an autoharp, I thought it might be fun.  I didn't know exactly how to play one, but I figured it would be awesome for the kids to play on.  The guy I bought it from had found it at his grandmother's house and had no idea what to do with it.  It came with all of the original paperwork, including a bill of sale from 1967 from Sears Roebuck (it cost his grandmother $8.67) and a record to help you tune it.




I didn't end up using it this weekend because it needs to be fixed up, but I think once we get it ready to play, the kids will have so much fun with it.  I think I might research how to play and learn a song or two, because that's a pretty bad ass instrument to have on your repertoire.



1 comments:

  1. dude! that's flippin' cool. you should totally keep it and learn to play it. i'll bring some spoons and we'll form a traveling duo. seriously.

    ReplyDelete

 

genius, obviously. All rights reserved >>>>> © Blog Milk Design